Tuesday, April 8, 2008

April 2nd - Puppy surgery

Wednesday was the day scheduled for Kodo's neuter surgery. I had gotten the OK to work from home so I could drop him off and pick him up at the right times. I set up my work stuff in the 'playpen'/morning room and worked until it was time to go then dropped him off at the vet around 7:45. He got a bunch of admiration and petting from the people who were in the office that early, and he went with the vet tech like a champ when she came to take him- not even a backward glance at me. So I went home (a little sniffly and worried about him I have to admit) and settled back to work. It is amazing how quiet and empty the house felt without him bouncing around- in less than 2 weeks he has made himself such a part of the household.

I got a call from his vet around midday, and she told me everything was great, he had come through the surgery fine, and I could pick him up around 2. She recommended Bactine to spray on his stitches so he didn't chew or lick at them (apparently it tastes nasty- who knew!).

I got to the clinic around 2:30. When they brought him out he was acting normal at first- trying to climb into the laps of complete strangers and make friends with all the other dogs in the waiting room. Then I coaxed him out to the parking lot, and he started doing his 'donkey' act of sitting and pulling back against the leash.. He did this every couple feet, and finally refused to move. Right in the middle of the traffic lane of the parking lot. So I eventually picked him up (very carefully) and carried him to the car and put him on his seat.

At home, I had some trouble getting him to come across the seat to me so I could lift him down again, but eventually we got back into the house and I settled him in the playpen with his freshly-washed blanket bed and his favorite rawhide chewie and started working again. I was a bit worried at this point because he wouldn't drink any water even when I brought it to him, and he was whimpering softly as he chewed his rawhide. Still not sure if that was leftover from the anesthetic, discomfort from the incision and stitches, or teething.... But once I gave him his food he ate like a horse.

By the evening he seemed to be feeling better, though still not quite his usual self.

1 comment:

blimpy said...

Ok, so funny story about this one... So, we're supposed to spray Bactine on his "area" to prevent infections and to prevent him from pulling at it. Well, we waited for the opportunity, bottle in hand, and then while he was distracted, we sprayed it at his puppy parts. Suddently, he stopped everything and just stared at us with a shocked and appalled looked on his face as if to say, "Did you just do what I think you did? What the hell?"