Thursday, March 1, 2018

Best of Bears

Almost 10 years ago today, Beck and I had come back from meeting a small litter of Berner pups that were up for adoption. When they brought in the pups, they all charged into the room, running all over the place and doing what pups do: playing with each other and getting into things. Well, all except for one. This "teeny" pup named "Coke" had a spotted pink nose. He ignored all the tomfoolery going on with his siblings. Instead, he noticed the two new people in the room and immediately ran up to greet us and see what we were all about. It was almost as if he chose us.

After the meeting, we had been going back and forth on the final adoption decision for a little while. Beck and I knew that adding a new furry member to our family would have been a huge adjustment. One of the nights, we were randomly discussing over some Chinese takeout. At the end of the meal, I cracked open my fortune cookie which read:

"You are offered the dream of a lifetime. Say Yes!"

And just like that, the decision was made.

Our lives changed for the better two weeks later when Kodo (formerly Coke) came into our lives. These ten years flew by in a blink of an eye. One day he was this scared little pup who ran behind me when he heard some scary noise in the dark. Then all of a sudden he's a 130-lb adolescent, bursting with energy, romping with me in the backyard...to now, with his distinguished gray muzzle, thinning fur, weak hips, and a penchant for sleep.

Today is the day I would never be prepared for - the day we had to say goodbye. I know you were more ready than I'll ever be, but I take solace in the fact that when you wake next, you'll be getting up pain-free and running with that same joy you had so many years ago.

Thank you for all the love that you have given us through the years. You truly have been the best of bears!





-br

No comments: