Wednesday, March 26, 2008

March 23 - Easter

Today is Easter, and up to this point we haven't told anybody about Kodo. Kodo was going to meet his Auntie Teresa and Uncle Jamie as well as the rest of the fam for the first time. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking about it, but I should have had the camera on hand for their reaction.

I'll describe it as best I can...

Kodo's being all calm, but we leash him up and start heading toward the door. We open the door and Teresa says "Happy East...oooooooohhhhh...how cuuute! Is he yours??" followed by many "he's soooo cuuute!" Kodo absolutely loved the attention. He went up to both Teresa and Jamie and got plenty of pets.

We put Kodo in his crate while we ate Easter dinner...he didn't give a whimper once. I think he was too enthralled by his rawhide.

Kodo was a still a little leary about the steps at this point. Again, when he had to go do his business, he didn't think twice about going down the steps...but if he didn't see a pressing need, he would stop at the top step to the outside and pull back on his leash. It did seem like Kodo attached himself a little more to Becky at this point, 'cuz she was able to coax him down the stairs. I was a little worried since I'd only have a short amount of time during work hours to take him out.

But I did eventually have a breakthrough. After doing more research, I learned a few more techniques to try. I had to take him out to do his business one more time before turning in for the night. He should have definitely needed to go, but again, he stood on the top step and pulled back on the leash. First I help him down the first step, and out the door...but he just sat and pulled back on the leash. This time, I gave him the command "Come!" Of course, he just sat there again....but this time, I turned around and circled the corner...guessing that he'd rather be with his people than be stubborn and alone. As luck would have it, I was right, and he reluctantly came up to me. I praised him...and he eventually sat and pulled back again. I stayed at full leash length and said in the confident voice, "Kodo, Come!" He just stared at me. I repeated the command...and he reluctantly walked over to me again. This time I was ready with a piece of a biscuit which I immediately shoved in his mouth as he reached me. I think this sparked his interest...because the next time he sat down, and I told him to "Come!" he immediately stood up and gallumphed his way over to me. Again, I plopped a treat in his mouth and praised him immediately. I repeated this a couple of times without treats and then one more time with. Definitely treats helped, and he seems to understand what the command means now.

He also did a "Hurry Up" which I treated and rewarded him as well just to associate his business with the outside. After seeing Kodo learn "Come" so quickly, I definitely have a good feeling about how smart he is. He's already got a great personality, and now you can see that he's absorbing things very quickly.

Once we got inside, I treated him, Konged him and plopped him in his crate. Again, he took to the crate very well and didn't whine at all...just laid down and slept.

Day two a success...

Kodo after a long, hard day of learning

No comments: